Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Honey cake sounded so good

So, today, in honor of Rosh Hashana, I decided to make honey cake for dessert.  Doesn't that sound lovely?  All honey goodness and deliciousness and cakey. 

I looked on smittenkitchen.com and found a recipe for honey cake.  Looked simple and easy and the description, while not sounding cakey, sounded tasty.  I was thinking a rich version of banana bread.

Yummmmmm

So I got all the ingredients together while Cori made our main course.  Keep in mind, we are doing Jewish New Year.  As I am mixing, he tells me we are having pork chops on the grill. 

Ummmmmmmmmm

Pork chops?  Jewish New Year???

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Oh well

at least our dessert would be kosher (kosher salt even in the recipe...look at me)

the house is filling with that wonderful spicy fall type smell...apple cidery and pumpkin pie-ish

Finally the honey cake is done
out of the oven and cooling

there are two round cakes and they smell Divine

problem number one
the cakes stuck in the pan...I greased them as suggested but they still stuck...nuts

problem number two
well...they taste like fruit cake
not the kind of fruitcake with all the fruit in it...but imagine that without the fruit

not cake like at all

and

well

I am thinking this may be one cake that will not get eaten

I am certain there are people who love honey cake and who are salivating at the very idea. Apparently, I am not one of those people
I am not one of those people that like fruitcake either...not even Alton Brown's fruitcake and I love him

maybe it is the alcohol or even the cloves and allspice
I love the smells
and
I wish Yankee candle made a honey cake version for me to make my house smell like love with

I wish
I wish honey cake tasted like I imagined...all cakey with an aftertaste of clover honey, sort of heavy and semi sticky with  a crispy top that melted under my tongue....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

but I guess this is better for my figure

at any rate

Happy Rosh Hashana!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment