Thursday, September 2, 2010

Cream Cheese-a-thon

Last night I made a cream cheese dessert (cue choir of angels)

AND

forgot to make the crepe batter (boooooooooo)

siiiiiiiiiiigh

but the cream cheese dessert is delicious (angel chorus)

AND
I had to make it for a work potluck too
so
we have some left-overs even!!!!



I was hoping to make homemade pasta sauce too
the kind with fresh, ripe tomatoes and basil...
This small desire, of course, resulted in a story...as nothing can be truly as simple as it sounds


Cori and I went on an adventure to get tomatoes last night...the night ended tomato-less and pee-filled.

There are two Hutteright (how do you spell that?  Anyone???) colonies near here that grow, we hear, the best produce around.  So, for the last 3 years, I have been asking to go there.  Yesterday was finally the day.  Of course, I did no prep work and was actually a little unsure of the SPECIFIC location but I knew, generally, how to get there.  Cori was convinced I was incorrect.  I acquiesced and we went to where he originally believed it to be.  Not there.  So, we consulted his ever-present blackberry...ah ha.  It was over here.  I was unconvinced but the BLACKBERRY said so, so...we went there.  Nothing.  There was nothing there but a field. 

After many misses and some angry words, we FINALLY went a way that was similar to what I initially proposed...what do my eyes see???? A sign for, you guessed it....produce.  We followed said sign, to...the middle of nowhere.  Apparently it was closed for the day.

No tomatoes  :(

The pee-filling happened at about this time too.  Poor little Finn came unprepared for the 2 hour journey and after jamming out pretty hardcore to the radio, we heard an "uh oh" from her seat.  Poor little peanut was soaked when we reached Aubrey's school's open house.  It was OK though as Aubrey had been removed from the school roster.  One more thing to straighten out when she finally returns.

Anyway...no tomatoes were had.  But there is always tomorrow or even 3 weeks from now when there is a farmer's market here.  The recipe will keep.  And, if I had to take a produce-less producing, pee-filled, 2 hour long road trip adventure down minimum maintenance roads and endless fields of corn, there is no one I would rather take it with than Cori.

When we finally got home, starving, fruitless, and covered in pee, I knew a dessert was in order.  A fast, easy dessert.  Once I could eat NOW.
So...cream cheese dessert it was...delicious and shockingly easy

go to the grocery store and buy two packages of croissants...or, if you can, buy two packages of Pillsbury croissant SHEETS.  (what a cool invention these guys are...like they were made just for this dessert) They are, most likely, right by the croissant but they just aren't perforated like the regular croissants.

while you are there, pick up an 8oz package of cream cheese...

you should have everything else you need at home!!!

preheat your oven to 325
unroll the croissant dough and place it in the bottom of a cake pan (9x11 or whatever the standard cake size pan is) you might have to stretch  the dough so that if reaches all the sides and corners...if it tears a little, don't sweat it...just pinch it back together

in a bowl mix your cream cheese with 1 egg yolk, 1 cup of sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla

I like to soften my cream cheese so it doesn't blow up my mixer motor but you can blow it up if you want (I also have the super cool microwave that softens so I am golden)

some people have an egg separator and I am envious of you people
I have to do it the old fashioned way, where you crack the egg and then sift it from one shell to the other until you just have the yolk left

cream your ingredients

spread over the croissant dough in your pan.

open the other container and spread that layer over the layer of cream cheese

you have essentially made a croissant sandwich with a cream cheese/custard center.

I sprinkle the top of the dough with more sugar and a dash of cinnamon and some nutmeg (go easy on the nutmeg...a little goes a long way, I like it because it smells good)

bake in the oven for 30 mins
let cool

enjoy!!!!

Tonight's dessert will be strawberry cream cheese pound cake!!!  yummmmmmmmmmmy 

funny side note...
Last night was Finneroo's first night being allowed to lick the beaters.  She loved it.  She loved it so much in fact that when Nick tried to take back his beater, Finn screamed and clocked him with her fist.  After getting her beater back, she continued to lick until I was worried the metal might come apart.  I removed the beater from her clenched fist amid screams and wails that I am shocked did not bring a bevy (or is it bevvy???)of child protection workers to our door.  When she realized she was not getting her beater back, Finn threw herself down on the floor on her belly and kicked and thrashed her arms.  It was the 1st full-blown temper tantrum I have seen and, it must be confessed, that I laughed so hard I had to sit down next to her on the floor.

Here come those terrible twos!!!!!


Cream Cheese Dessert (think of some clever name so it sounds impressive)

2 packages croissant rolls (or dough sheets)
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla

preheat oven to 325

line a cake pan with one package of dough

in a bowl, cream together cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla

spread mixture over dough in cake pan

top mixture with 2nd package of dough

sprinkle sugar and cinnamon or nutmeg (or all three or anything else you think might be good...I used Mayan cocoa infused sugar  and nutmeg last night) over top dough

bake for 25-30 mins (top will be golden brown)

cool and enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment