Friday, November 5, 2010

Haven't posted desserts in awhile

I haven't posted desserts in awhile.
I have been making them but not really writing about them.

I suck

but the pie recipe Sara sent me for Tollhouse pie was about heaven

holy smokes

This recipe is from the Eat, Drink, and Be Chinaberry cookbook, which may or may not still be available from www.chinaberry.com.  It is a collection of recipes collected from their readers.

2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature (NOTE: I use 2 Tablespoons less than 1 cup; it makes the pie less greasy)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (NOTE: I use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of chocolate chips because I don't include nuts in my pies)
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts work well)

In large bowl, beat eggs until foamy.  Beat in flour and sugars until well blended.  Add melted butter and blend.  Stir in chips and nuts.  Pour into unbaked 9-inch pie shell (I usually just use a Pillsbury one, but you could make your own if you have that sort of motivation).  Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees F.  Serve warm with ice cream.


Thank you Sara Robbinson-Coolidge.  I made two and they were gone before I could lick the beaters....ok, not really but you get the drift.

I made my own dark brown sugar (3oz of molasses to 1 pound sugar....blend in a food processor until combined) cheaper and tastier than store bought.  And I made two pies (since I make my own and each bag is good for 1 double crust pie) and I most likely used more chocolate chips than I ought to have.

At any rate....

I had to cook the pies for about 1 hour and 35 mins or so.  The top was nice and crusty but the inside was gooey...I cooked it until a toothpick came out wet but not full of dough.

delicious


I need some cookie ideas...cookies aren't my thing but I want to win a contest.  And I have to make cookies....ready for taste testing all my former students in college????

yikes

1 comment: